Under general supervision of The Director of Outreach and Benefits, assists clients in obtaining crucial benefits through the Federal interagency initiative “SOAR” – Social Security Benefits: Outreach, Access and Recovery, when applicable benefits pursued include Social Security Disability/Retirement; Supplemental Security Income (SSI); EBT (food stamps); Medicaid; Medicare; and VA Benefits
Considered a professional, exempt position that is regular full-time.
Guidelines for Distinguishing Characteristics:
Perform full range of duties including but not limited to the area of application of benefits, income verifications and maintain client records.
Examples of Work:
- Prepare and maintain individual client records
- Assess clients and their needs through in-person interviews
- Maintain record of clients assisted and benefits obtained
- Prepare and submit benefit applications to appropriate agencies
- Monitor applications in-process
- Partner with case managers and clinical team to gather needed information for clients to complete the benefit application process
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to understand an utilize the “SOAR” initiative and disability application processes
- Knowledge of the principles, policies and practices of office management
- Knowledge of computer software to include word processing, database, and spreadsheet applications
- Ability to collect and assemble information in a clear, concise manner
- Ability to effectively plan and organize work activities and prioritize task completion according to schedules and goals
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other agencies, organizations and interested public or private groups
- Ability to exercise judgement and discretion in interpreting and applying policies and procedures
Necessary Special Requirements:
Must have a valid South Carolina driver’s license and a good driving record. Must be certifiable in defensive driving and CPR/1st-Aid.
A bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, management or related area and minimum of 5 years relevant experience. Additional experience may substitute for degree.