Under limited supervision engages in outreach activities to those in the Midlands who are homeless and at increased risk of harm from COVID-19; activities include providing assistance with securing food, shelter, clothing and referrals to other supportive services to reduce risks associated with COVID-19. Reports to the Director of Outreach and Benefits.
Considered a professional, exempt position that is regular full-time.
Guidelines for Distinguishing Characteristics:
Utilizing CDC and DHEC guidance related to COVID-19, safely conduct outreach activities during traditional and nontraditional hours to develop a relationship that will assist clients with addressing barriers to obtaining services, housing, and appropriate health care needs
Examples of Work:
- Provide Personal Protective Equipment to adults experiencing homelessness (e.g. facemasks, gloves, sanitizer, etc.)
- Screen adults experiencing homelessness for COVID-19 symptoms
- Conduct a VI-SPDAT (Vulnerability Index-Service Prioritization Decisions Assistance Tool) on all new clients to connect them to the proper intervention and services
- Ensure all program data is accurate and entered into HMIS
- Identification and outreach to homeless persons to determine who is in need of services.
- Provide street case management services by bringing services the community with the goal of linking them to long term supportive services
- Provide assistance in accessing entitlements and completing forms and applications
Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills:
- Thorough knowledge of methods, principles and practices of clinical counseling.
- Some knowledge of basic health and welfare services provided by other public and private agencies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective contact with individuals, families and representatives of other professional disciplines.
- Some knowledge of the techniques of interviewing and counseling.
- Ability to express ideas clearly, both orally and in writing.
Necessary Special Requirements:
Must have a valid SC driver’s license and a good driving record. Must be certifiable in defensive driving and Standard CPR/1st-Aid.
A Bachelor’s Degree in the social sciences and 2 years of experience in a clinical counseling program.